1 Cor 15:1-4, Paul writes, Dear friends, let me give you clearly the heart of the gospel that I’ve preached to you—the good news that you have heartily received and on which you stand. For it is through the revelation of the gospel that you are being saved, if you fasten your life firmly to the message I’ve taught you, unless you have believed in vain. For I have shared with you what I have received and what is of utmost importance: The Messiah died for our sins, fulfilling the prophecies of the Scriptures. He was buried in a tomb and was raised from the dead after three days, as foretold in the Scriptures.
The gospel is the wonderful news of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
In Romans 15:18-19, Paul writes, And I will not be presumptuous to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me. For many Gentiles are coming into faith’s obedience by the power of the Spirit of God, which is displayed through mighty signs and amazing wonders, both in word and deed. Starting from Jerusalem I went from place to place as far as the distant Roman province of Illyricum and FULFILLED the ministry of the gospel of Christ.
It was through mighty signs and amazing wonders that Paul fulfilled the ministry of the gospel of Christ. Without the message of the cross, there is no gospel, the gospel IS the message of Christ and Christ crucified, and without signs and wonders, the gospel can not be fulfilled. The gospel ministry is fulfilled when signs and wonders are evidenced:
- Hebrews 2:4, Then God added his witness to theirs. He validated their ministry with signs, astonishing wonders, all kinds of powerful miracles, and by the gifts of the Holy Spirit, which he distributed as he desired.
- Acts 2:43, A deep sense of holy awe swept over everyone, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders.
- Acts 14:3, Yet Paul and Barnabas stayed there for a long time, preaching boldly and fearlessly about the Lord. Many trusted in the Lord, for he backed up his message of grace with miracles, signs, and wonders performed by the apostles.
- Acts 15:12, Everyone became silent and listened carefully as Paul and Barnabas shared with the council at length about the signs and wonders and miracles God had worked through them while ministering to the non-Jewish people.
Only Jesus can define Christianity, not theologians, pastors, or commentaries. ONLY Jesus! Jesus’ ministry, his gospel, his time on earth was PACKED with miracles of healing and deliverance. We need to press in like never before for the miracles of Jesus to be released upon us and the church.
Even the word salvation comes from the word sozo. Its root meaning goes beyond just the forgiveness of sins. Sozo also carries the idea of being physically healed of diseases and being delivered from our enemy-the devil and his demons.
Jesus’ ministry was to bring the power of the kingdom of God to the earth! POWER that was seen in miracles and deliverances from demonic power. Jesus’ ministry was demonstrated through signs and wonders.
Paul’s ministry was to preach Christ and Christ crucified, and then he fulfilled this ministry of the gospel of Christ through signs and wonders.
A ‘sign’ points to the purpose or significance of the miraculous event, whereas ‘wonder’ focuses on how unusual or marvelous it is. ‘Signs’ signify something with a message from God, especially with reference to the coming of the kingdom of God. And, ‘Wonders’ describes the effect on the people who experience them.
Jesus didn’t just die for our sins, He died to reverse the effects of sin! That includes sickness, demons, poverty, oppression, anxiety, fear, etc.! Sozo is the restoration of a life free from all those things. Now, we get to see all the promises attached to Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection FULFILLED with displays of miracle signs and amazing wonders! Because, we have this GOSPEL, and this JESUS now living in us! And access to all these benefits that are evidenced with signs and wonders.
So, let’s get our communion elements ready, and I’ll read from the book of Luke and we can partake.
Luke 22:19, Then Jesus lifted up a loaf, and after praying a prayer of thanksgiving to God, he gave each of his apostles a piece of bread, saying, “This loaf is my body, which is now being offered to you. Always eat it to remember me.”
Let’s eat our bread. Thank you Jesus, for your body broken for us.
Luke 22:20, After supper was over, he lifted the cup again and said, “This cup is my blood of the new covenant I make with you, and it will be poured out soon for all of you.
Let’s drink from the cup. Thank you Jesus for your covenant to us!
Lord, we come before You to honor You and praise You. Lord, You are SO HOLY, yet you made a way for us to approach you through the sacrifice of Your son Jesus. The blood of Jesus, grants us access into Your holiest of holies. So according to Your word in Hebrews 10:19, we enter into Your presence in the throne room of heaven, the holiest of holies, and we praise, worship and GLORIFY your holy name.
Father, in James 5:15 we learn that our prayer of faith saves us from being sick, and Father you raise us up, and if we have committed sin, you are faithful to forgive us. We took Your body, Lord Jesus, declaring that by Your stripes we are healed. You have already paid every price for our complete healing breakthrough, and we celebrate Your faithfulness to raise us up, that we may walk in total well-being and healing in our whole body, soul, mind, and spirit. Jesus, we took Your blood, knowing that Your blood HAS cleansed us from everything that is not of You. If it is not found in Heaven, it will not be found in our lives!
Father, thank You that nothing separates us from Your love, Your protection, and Your provision. You ARE our constant SHIELD OF PROTECTION. We put our trust in You, and know that You keep us safe and secure, and that through You, Lord, we have an answer for every single problem we ever face.
You sacrificed Yourself, and we are gathered here today to remember Your sacrifice for us, so that we might be made whole, and walk in the fullness of Your complete healing for body, soul, mind and spirit.
- Father, according to Your word in Isaiah 53:5, we proclaim health right now, by Jesus’ stripes.
- According to Your word in Isaiah 41:10, we proclaim strength to endure, as You help us and hold us up with your righteous right hand.
- According to Your word in 2 Thessalonians 3:3, we proclaim protection as You establish us and guard us from the evil one.
- According to Your word in Isaiah 46:4, we proclaim sustenance, because You are He who will sustain us even unto old age.
- According to Your word in Philippians 4:7, we proclaim the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, guards our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus.
- According to Your word in Job 8:21, we proclaim happiness and joy, because it is You who fills our mouths with laughter, and our lips with shouts joy.
- According to Your word in Jeremiah 29:11, we proclaim hope, because You, Lord, have plans to prosper us, and to give us hope and a future.
- According to Your word in 1 Peter 1:25, we proclaim forgetfulness of the weight of the wilderness season, as the memories of hardship wither and fall, because Your promises to us stand forever.
So, let it be according to Your word, Father. We proclaim that we are citizens of Heaven and anticipate breakthrough in every area of our lives, right now, in the mighty name of Jesus! And we declare we will see your miracles manifest in our lives with great power, and signs and wonders will be evidenced, as we and our families receive healing miracles, right now in the mighty name of Jesus! Amen.